Thursday 26 September 2013

Fun with Tongue Twisters

My little one and I have had some fun entertaining ourselves with tongue twisters lately.

I introduced her to the "Peter Piper" tongue twister a few days ago.  I thought of the idea to amuse her on a boring afternoon, and we spent a good half hour or so laughing at each other trying to recite the tongue twister.   After some attempts and many laughs later, she could recite the "Peter Piper" tongue twister pretty well, I must say!

Imagine her excitement when the Barney "Playing in the Park" DVD that we just borrowed from the library had a short segment on the "Peter Piper" tongue twister!  She was totally amused and even boasted to me that she could do it very well when BJ couldn't!

It is also amazing how we started recognising tongue twisters everywhere once we started on the topic.   For bedtime reading last night, she picked out Dr. Suess "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" for me to read to her.  We have not read this book for quite a while.   I bought this book for her together with Dr. Suess "The Cat in the Hat" many months ago and she had taken a preference for the latter.  "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" was somewhat forgotten until I rearranged her books yesterday and she noticed it.  However I believe she will be making me read the book more often because we really had some fun with some of the tongue twisters in the book.

See how clever these are:

"We saw him sit and try to cook.  He took a look at the book on the hook. But a Nook can't read, so a Nook can't cook. So...what good to a  Nook is a hook cook book?"

"In yellow socks I box my Gox. I box in yellow Gox box socks."

"He likes to drink, and drink, and drink. The thing he likes to drink is ink. The ink he likes to drink is pink. He likes to wink and drink pink ink."

"You never yet met a pet, I bet, as wet as they let this wet pet get."

"if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish."

Both my little one and I now have a renewed interest in this Dr. Suess book.  She did not really appreciate the book when i first bought it when she was 2+.  But now that she is 3,   I find that this is a really good and fun book to read for us to read together!

No comments:

Post a Comment